What a year…
The 2008 year is coming to a close and barring any big news, this will be the last post of the year. On behalf of everyone at the Dodger organization, thank you all for being a part of an incredibly memorable season. I’ve tried to think of all the highlights, chronologically, which I’ve listed below…
– A float in the Rose Parade
– The first-ever trip to China for a Major League team
– A farewell to Vero Beach (and the introduction of Dodgertown as a place where any Dodger fans resides around the world)
– Tommy Lasorda managing for a week at Holman Stadium while Joe Torre took the troops to the Far East
– A Guiness World Record 113,500 fans return to the Coliseum and help to raise $2 million for ThinkCure
– Opening Dat at Dodger Stadium with 42 legends coming out from all over the field, including ceremonial first pitch tossers Sandy Koufax, Don Newcombe and Carl Erskine, before being joined by the 2008 Dodgers
– Walter O’Malley inducted into the Hall of Fame
– Winning a game where the Dodgers got no hits!
– Big league debuts for Clayton Kershaw, Blake DeWitt, Cory Wade, Scott Elbert, and several others
– The continued maturation of Ethier, Loney, Kemp, Billingsley, Broxton and Martin, who made his second straight All-Star Game
– A ball at the Hollywood Bowl over July 4 weekend
– Dr. Jobe honored at the stadium with his two biggest patients, Tommy John and Orel Hershiser on hand to witness it
– Jaime Jarrin completes his 50th year behind the mic (and Vin his 59th)
– The Dodgers get a star on Hollywood Boulevard
– Casey Blake comes to town and has an immediate impact on the team
– The announcement of the 2009 World Baseball Classic coming to Los Angeles and Dodger Stadium
– Mannywood meets Los Angeles (what more can you really say??)
– Walk off hits by Ethier, Nomar, and that come-from-behind win in Arizona
– The all-time L.A. Dodger team unveiled as voted on by the fans
– The Dodgers win an L.A. Emmy Award!
– Clinching the NL West title and the team’s third playoff berth in five years (only the Cards can say that in the Senior Circuit)
– That awesome rally at Dodger Stadium the night before the team left for Chicago
– A first-round sweep of the Cubs and the team’s first NLCS appearance in 20 years
– A home victory over the Phils in the LCS
– The announcement of 42 additional Dodgers Dream Fields through the Dodgers Dream Foundation (plus countless community visits throughout the year)
– Casey Blake comes back for three years…then so does Raffy
And who knows how it will finish, with nine days left in the calendar year?
This has become an amazing place for Dodger fans to share their thoughts with others and everyone in the Dodger organization will be working tirelessly to help make ’09 even better than ’08. We welcome your input and thoughts here or at email@example.com
Have a safe and healthy holiday and new year.